First post! On today’s menu, Nurgle with a side of armor.
I thought I’d start with one of the models I had the absolute silliest amount of fun with, both in the build and painting process. Let’s dive right in!
This dreadnought began its life as the lowly but reliable melta dread that shipped with the Assault on Black Reach set. Well, I already had two multi-melta dreads. What to do, what to do. So I thought it might be fun to try and convert the once honorable hero, over to the forces of chaos. To do this, I knew I had to do several things, especially for nurgle. First, break up the silhouette. This was achieved by several means, such as the addition of spikes. I also extended the smoke stacks far up his back.
The other, and most notable feature in this regard is the arm. I liked the idea that the arm might have just broken off, then he just kept on using it as a big gooey flail. Seemed hilarious and fluff appropriate. Here you can see the spike I added, as well as some of the green stuff I added to spare tyranid tendrils to make up the arm. there’s about 6 washed to get the subtle multi-tonality I was looking for on the yellow arm.
Next I knew there needed to be some nurgle-ness. This was achieved through various means. First, the addition of boils, and deformity.
This was so much fun to do, first, I got to cut at the model with a knife. There’s bits of damage just about everywhere. Then, I place tiny little boils made out of green stuff all over the model. If you’re thinking of doing this to a model, I would highly recommend making the boils first. Much easier to glue on after the fact! They were then gloss coated to help convey a sickly feel. Also, quite satisfying to paint.
Another key element, was the rust. Let’s face it, just about anything will eventually succumb to something that corrosive.
I first cut than filed all that imperial iconography off. After that was cleaned up, I drilled pits and holes for the rusted pits. I also added a small nurgle symbol with green stuff. This rust technique was derived from my Necrons and came out quite well. Look for a write up on that here soon, for now, oranges, browns and silver. I also moved the flamer to his chest, so you could still see it.
One of the other small mods I did was to add bits of plasticard tubing. While I’m not sure this was totally necessary, it really helps to sell that sort of ruinous look. It also allows you to work with a slightly different metallic palette as the piston rods should be coated in oil, not rust. Takes a small amount of time, but small details on models like this can make a huge difference in the long run, if you can manage the time then take it. That said, yeah, I haven’t decided how to base it just yet!
Hopefully you enjoyed learning about this model and my process in completing it. I leave you with a 360 of the model, and all its tiny glory. Until next time, keep painting!